Qubes R3.1 release notes
New features since 3.0
- Management Stack based of Salt Stack in dom0 - documentation
- Out of the box Whonix setup
- UEFI support
- LIVE edition (still alpha, not part of R3.1-rc1)
- Updated GPU drivers in dom0
- Colorful window application icons (instead of just colorful lock icon)
- PV Grub support (documentation)
- Out of the box USB VM setup, including handling USB mouse
- Xen upgraded to 4.6, for better hardware support (especially Skylake platform)
- Improve updates proxy flexibility - especially repositories served over HTTPS
You can get detailed description in completed github issues
Installation image does not fit on DVD, requires either DVD DL, or USB stick (5GB or more)
qvm-blockdoes not work
Some icons in the Qubes Manager application might not be drawn correctly when using the Xfce4 environment in Dom0. If this bothers you, please use the KDE environment instead.
USB mouse (in case of USB VM) does not work at first system startup (just after completing firstboot). Workaround: restart the system.
For other known issues take a look at our tickets
It is advised to install updates just after system installation to apply bug fixes for (some of) the above problems.
See Qubes Downloads.
See Installation Guide.
The easiest and safest way to upgrade to Qubes R3.1 is to install it from scratch and use qubes backup and restore tools for migrating of all of the user VMs.
Users of Qubes R3.0 can upgrade using experimental procedure.
From R2 or earlier
When upgrading from earlier versions the easiest and safest way is to install it from scratch and use qubes backup and restore tools for migrating of all of the user VMs.
Alternatively you can upgrade to R3.0 using first, then follow the instructions above. This will be time consuming process.