After many years of work, the team is pleased to announce the first release candidate for Qubes 4.1!
Qubes 4.1 includes several major new features, each of which is explained in depth in its own article:
- Qubes Architecture Next Steps: The GUI Domain
- Qubes Architecture Next Steps: The New Qrexec Policy System
- New Gentoo templates and maintenance infrastructure
- Reproducible builds for Debian: a big step forward
Finally, Qubes 4.1 features the following updated default components:
- Xen 4.14
- Fedora 32 in dom0
- Fedora 34 template
- Debian 11 template
- Whonix 16 Gateway and Workstation templates
- Linux kernel 5.10
Qubes 4.1-rc1 is available on the downloads page.
How to test Qubes 4.1-rc1
There are two ways to migrate to 4.1-rc1:
- Back up your current installation, perform a fresh install of 4.1-rc1, then restore from your backup.
- Perform an in-place upgrade.
Release candidate planning
As with any initial release candidate, it’s likely that user testing will reveal important bugs that we’ll want to fix before the stable release. Depending on the severity of the bugs discovered and how long it takes to fix them, we expect that it may be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before we announce the second release candidate.